HPE Superdome Flex¶
The HPE Superdome Flex is a large shared memory node. It is especially well suited for data intensive application scenarios, for example to process extremely large data sets completely in main memory or in very fast NVMe memory.
- Access to all shared filesystems
- Slurm partition
- 32 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Platinum 8276M CPU @ 2.20GHz (28 cores)
- 48 TB RAM (usable: 47 TB - one TB is used for cache coherence protocols)
- 370 TB of fast NVME storage available at
Local Temporary NVMe Storage¶
There are 370 TB of NVMe devices installed. For immediate access for all projects, a volume of 87 TB
of fast NVMe storage is available at
/nvme/1/<projectname>. A quota of
100 GB per project on this NVMe storage is set.
With a more detailed proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org on how this unique system (large shared memory + NVMe storage) can speed up their computations, a project's quota can be increased or dedicated volumes of up to the full capacity can be set up.
Hints for Usage¶
- Granularity should be a socket (28 cores)
- Can be used for OpenMP applications with large memory demands
- To use OpenMPI it is necessary to export the following environment
variables, so that OpenMPI uses shared memory instead of Infiniband
for message transport.
export OMPI_MCA_pml=ob1; export OMPI_MCA_mtl=^mxm
I_MPI_FABRICS=shmso that Intel MPI doesn't even consider using Infiniband devices itself, but only shared-memory instead